A HISTORY OF NEIL STREET
We are located in the Seven Dials area of Covent Garden, on the corner of Neal Street and Shaftesbury Avenue. The area is dominated by shopping, street performers, theatres, cinemas and above all the former historic flower, fruit and vegetable market. A great place to visit!
The Punjab currently occupies 80 Neal Street. The present street name (though without an 'e') commemorates Thomas Neale, the original developer of Seven Dials. Until 1877 the street was called King Street.
An entrepreneur, Neale promoted building schemes, including the converging streets of Seven Dials in Covent Garden. He aimed to establish Seven Dials as the most fashionable address in London, following in the footsteps of the successful Covent Garden Piazza development.
Walking down Neal Street, you will notice that many of the buildings have been built with pulleys with large door-sized windows on each floor. Many of these warehouses were built in 1901 in the Dutch Style and were for the storing and transportation of fruit to and from the nearby Covent Garden Fruit and Vegetable market.
Enough of the history lesson, just pop down and soak up the great buzzing atmosphere of Covent Garden.